3 Household Dangers You Might Not Have Thought About

Your home—be it humble or grand—is your place of comfort, relaxation and safety. However, there are dangers that lurk within your home that you might not have thought about. It's not a pleasant musing—but it's a necessary one.

By taking note of potential hazards, and acting now, you can save yourself, your friends, and your family from encountering health risks within your home that often evade the human eye. Three key examples of potential hazards are listed below, along with suggestions on how to safely deal with these issues. 


What's the danger? 

A naturally occurring fibrous material, asbestos was used in many homes for many years all over the world up until relatively recently, and whilst often harmless if left alone, can pose deadly risks if disturbed in any way. Asbestos can be identified through simple observation, but must not be touched under any circumstances.

The nature of asbestos means that the minuscule fibers within it are easily inhaled and can tear apart the lungs from the inside. People infected with asbestos poisoning don't often notice it until several months or even years later, and if you think you may have asbestos in your home, it is seriously worth considering hiring a professional to come and remove it.

How do I deal with it? 

This isn't for you to deal with. If you've invited a specialist to come into your home and professionally identify asbestos, then you should allow them to professionally remove it too. Lack of training and experience in asbestos removal can lead to serious consequences in later life. So don't don a mask and deal with it yourself to try and save a bit of cash—let the asbestos removal professionals deal with it. This is hazard that is certainly worth putting money towards removing.  


What's the danger?

Aside from looking nauseating, mold (along with mildew and fungus) is a potentially dangerous substance that cannot be allowed to reside in your home. Some molds are pose greater health risks than others, but living in the same house as any mildew or fungus can have serious detrimental effects on you and your family's health.

Any sufferers of allergies or asthma can particularly suffer at the presence of mold, and this nasty-looking substance can cause flu, sickness, and other general health risks that will continue to re-occur unless the mold is removed.

How do I deal with it?

If it's out in full force, then it's best to let a professional handle it. But keep in mind that mold thrives on moisture. By locating the source of the moisture within the home (perhaps a leaking pipe in the basement) and swiftly removing it, it'll be difficult for mold to return, and you'll be back to living in a happy and healthy home in no time.

Keep surfaces clean, tidy and hygienic by using non-ammonia cleaning products, and always keep an eye out for that horrid stuff cropping up in corners so you can deal with it promptly.

Carbon Monoxide

What's the danger?

A sneaky—and extremely deadly—colorless, odorless gas, carbon monoxide often arises from indoor fuel-burning appliances and stationary vehicles that are switched on inside garages. Unless it is significantly ventilated, carbon monoxide can cause death when inhaled in high doses. Exposure can also lead to symptoms of drowsiness, sickness, and ultimately unconsciousness.

How do I deal with it?

Buy a carbon monoxide detector as soon as possible. These devices will alert you if carbon monoxide levels in the house reach toxic levels, and can truly can save your life. If you ever begin to feel sick and dizzy when working in enclosed spaces in your house, chances are there may be a leak of carbon monoxide coming from somewhere. It's always best to consult a professional if you're unsure.